Re: Connecting terminals

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Pilon wrote:

> I need to connect two terminals to my Linux box, I have in my inittab
> file:
>
> s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
> s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS1 vt100
>

> The login prompt appears well in my terminals; but when I try to login I
> can't do it.
>
> Can someone help me?

Looks like the cable or terminal options are not proper for hardware flow
control. The following works for my HP 200LX palmtop with a wireless
infrared link. This is necessary because the host does not get carrier
detect from the port.

s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS1 vt100

If that works, then you may want to find an RS-232 breakout box and use
the status lights and jumpers to nail down the proper cable pinout. In the
olden days, I couldn't be caught without one. There were so many
variations between serial devices and host ports.

You may be able to run fine with the -L option if your terminal has
adequate buffer memory or you drop the baud rate.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +