Re: how to safely install libc6

Here's a slightly old thread I'm continuing; I'm very curious how people
are dealing with this.  I usually follow 'unstable,' in part because it
largely is quite stable.  I hold off on things that look like more
trouble, like libc6.  Much advice recommends not using it yet on
important systems.  I tried to avoid it, but fell for ldso 1.9.2, not
realizing it (apparently) commits me to the libc6 development
environment.  I have not installed libc6 yet, and right now my compiles
fail.  All the binaries generated give "No such file or directory"
errors, because they can't link, I believe.  I hesitate to go ahead and
install the libc6 packages, though, if things might become more
unstable.  I'd like to build a new kernel at the moment, and wouldn't
want to do so with a C library that wasn't ready for prime time.

I tried downgrading ldso to ldso_1.8.10-2.  That didn't work at all;
when dpkg finished my linker was blown out, and I had to go to the
rescue disk.  I'm not sure how the new environment should look; what
packages I'll need, and if they're all in place yet; the 'altdev'
packages are continuing to appear.  Are people compiling stable binaries
& kernels with libc6, or with it installed but using the altdev-libc5
stuff?

If everyone were as uncertain as I am, I think I'd be seeing more
discussion on the topic, so maybe I'm up a tree somewhere :-) But I'd
love some opinions on whether, with libc6, we're getting much more
'unstable' than we usually are.

Thanks all, loving Debian as always,

Ed Donovan					ed@capecod.net