xserver-vga16 and xserver-svga won't install

I'm having problems trying to install xserver-vga16 and xserver-svga packages.
Everytime I get the following error:
.../etc/X11/xdm/Xserver: No such file or directory

Is it something special that has to be done with the dependecy packages.  I tried installing one package at a time, and still doesn't work.  Any clues of what I need to do?  Any one else having the same problem?

Alberto Ruiz
aruiz@debian1.sssys.com