Xwindows packages which one???

I'm kind of new with Xwindows, and I'm trying to setup the standard Xwindow server so I can have multiple windows and run applications such as Netscape.  Is it
an easy way to do this?  I've spent 3 days trying to setup xserver-svga package. But I do not know waht to do next. I tried installing Xbase and the whole thing got corrupted.  Is is an specific sequence on which to install first?  The required , recommended and suggested packages are not very specific. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alberto Ruiz
aruiz@debian1.sssys.com