shadow problems with adduser

When I attempt to add a user account with adduser <username> it prompts me
for the password twice as I would expect then notifies me that the user
was not found in /etc/shadow (no duh!  I am trying to ADD a new user!) and
kicks me back to the prompt for a password and it sticks in this loop.

I have to go to another VT to kill adduser to get control back.

QUESTION: How do I add a new user if I have shadow support?

George Bonser
grep@oriole.sbay.org, grep@concentric.net