Re: deb-make-question: where/what is DESTDIR?

On May 14, Johann Spies wrote

> Please excuse my lack of understanding.
>
> I am trying to use the deb-make-package and in the documention the
> instruction is
>
> "3. Make any modifications to get the program to compile. If the makefile
> is set up to install in DESTDIR, then you will only
> need to make minor changes to debian/rules (DESTDIR is set
> in debian/rules to make sure things go into the right place)."

Well, many upstream programs come with a makefile that automatically installs
everything in DESTDIR.  If your upstream program's makefile doesn't contain it,
you will have to make the necessary modifications in order to make sure
everything is installed into debian/tmp.

> I found the variable "DESTDIR" nowhere in "rules" or in the
> "debian"-directory created by deb-make.

Look in the binary-arch target of debmakes's default rules file.  there is an
" make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp " line there.  That's what the doc is
describing.

> I do not know what modifications I should make to get the program to
> compile. I do not know what the compilation process needs.
>
> I feel stupid asking this questions as the documentation is supposed
> to help the "first time packager" to quote the documentation.

The packaging documentation is not close to being good yet, but we are working
on it.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com