Re: Debian 1.2 is broken out of the box.

Hmmm, I could not see the original with my basic pine setup but I could
finally see the message in your reply.

If this fellow has been struggling for weeks trying to get the basic
system installed, my guess is that he has not been reading the
instructions.  It is not something that can be "figured out" as you go
along for the first time user.

Suggestions:

Once you get the partitions built and the base disks installed, run
dselect but DO NOT PICK any additional programs other then what is
preselected the first time through.

If you are installing over FTP, you might have to cycle through the
install/setup a few times to get everything installed.  You might want to
remove some of the larger programs (like emacs ... you can install them
later if you need them).  I have had problems this evening with the FTP
connection "freezing" and timing out causing me to have to recycle through
the install option of the dselect menu.

Once you have the preselected stuff downloaded, installed, and configured,
run dselect again to pick up the other software that you want.

Take one thing at a time.  Get the network running if you have one. Get
your news and mail working in text mode first.
Get PPP working. Then worry about X.  Do not try to do too nuch
all at once.  Break it up into a series of phases and get one thing
working before you try to move on to the next thing.  Trying to do to much
at once will likely swamp a newbie in so many error messages that he might
not know where to start.  Take it slow.

George Bonser
grep@oriole.sbay.org, grep@concentric.net