Re: failed installation of 1.2 on thinkpad. Tips?

As others have noted, the Debian 1.1 disks work for installation on
Thinkpads.  That is how I originally bootstrapped mine.  Apologies if
this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but I believe that
the culprit is the bzImage kernel format.  When compiling a custom
kernel for my Thinkpad 760ED, I had to make sure that I used "make
zImage" rather than "make bzImage" or I could never get it to boot.
This means that you have to take care not to let the kernel proper get
too big, so don't include anything you don't need and make everything
a module that you can.

I assume that the 1.1 disks use zImage and the 1.2 and onward disks
use bzImage, which would explain why the old disks work.

--
Robert Coie
Implementor, Intrigue Ltd.