Re: How to trick debian into thinking a package is installed

There used to exist 2 utilities called deb2asc and asc2deb which were very
useful for this kind of thing.  They were part of debmake at one time then were
moved to adpkg, and after adpkg's removal from distribution seem to have
disappeared.

Christoph,
would you put them back into debmake or anywhere else for that matter?  These
utilities are truly useful for creating dummy packages.

With those utilities available, you would just need to create a text file
containing something like this:

%control
Package: dummy
Version: 1.0
Provides: motif, tetex

(and some more standard control file lines)

Then you run asc2deb, and a .deb package is built.

On May 9, Steve Hsieh wrote

> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me how I can trick debian into thinking that a package is
> installed?  Specifically, I have the real motif installed on my system.
> However, since this is (obviously) not a debian package, debian has no
> idea that I have it.  And so if I try to install the xmcd package, it
> refuses to install because lesstif isn't installed, but I can't install
> lesstif without overwriting the real motif...  I guess I could also use
> the --force-depends option in dpkg to force an install?
>
> So my questions are;
>
> 1. what's the dirty way to modify the config files so debian thinks
> lesstif is installed?
>
> 2. if I create my own binary .deb package with my motif binaries inside
> it, how do I change the control file so it "provides" lesstif?
>
> On a side note, motif apps really ought to "require" a motif package, and
> lesstiff should "provide" motif, as opposed to packages directly requiring
> lesstif.
>
> Steve
>

> --

Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com