failed installation of 1.2 on thinkpad. Tips?

I am trying to install Debian/GNU/Linux 1.2 from floppy disks on
a Thinkpad w/pentium.
I have made the 6 disks as described in

   ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html

I inserted rescue diskette and power cycled.
I read through the on-line instructions and typed

  linux floppy=thinkpad

and hit Enter.

Then I got the loading root.bin..., then loading linux......
messages, but nothing more.  It just hung -- I waited at
least 15 minutes before giving up.

Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks for any help,
Jim