Re: failed installation of 1.2 on thinkpad. Tips?

On May 10, Jim Meyering wrote
> I am trying to install Debian/GNU/Linux 1.2 from floppy disks on
> a Thinkpad w/pentium.
> I have made the 6 disks as described in
>
>    ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html
>
> I inserted rescue diskette and power cycled.
> I read through the on-line instructions and typed
>
>   linux floppy=thinkpad
>
> and hit Enter.
>
> Then I got the loading root.bin..., then loading linux......
> messages, but nothing more.  It just hung -- I waited at
> least 15 minutes before giving up.
>
> Have I missed something obvious?

If I remember correct I saw more often problems with the rescue disk
of Debian 1.2 on Thinkpads. Could you perhaps try the new boot
floppies from the upcoming 1.3 release. They are at
 .../debian/frozen/disks-i386/current/
Just install then from frozen and if you have any problems PLEASE
report them so that the debian maintainers can fix them before the release
of 1.3.
To reassure you: There shouldn't be many problems left ;-)

Greetings,

			Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: christian.meder@utoronto.ca