Re: dpkg question

On May 9, Ryan Shaw wrote
> Check our new domain names!
> http://www.netforward.com
> v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
> in redhat there are source packages and binary packages.  one may
> download the source package and use `rpm --rebuild <package name>' to
> build binary packages from that.  quite easy, and useful in my case.
> the gcc that shipped with redhat didn't function correctly on my AMD K5
> so i had to recompile it and then install the locally compiled package.
>
> is there any feature like this in dpkg/debian?  i noticed there aren't
> any source packages per se, but there were .orig.tar.gz files.
>
> how would i accomplish what i described above with debian/dpkg?

You need to get .orig.tar.gz, .diff.gz and .dsc files.  Then type
dpkg-source -x name-of-package.dsc

This will unpack a debianized source into a package-version directory.  cd
there and type

debian/rules binary

The .deb will be built in the dir a step above current.

HTH
--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com