dpkg question

in redhat there are source packages and binary packages.  one may
download the source package and use `rpm --rebuild <package name>' to
build binary packages from that.  quite easy, and useful in my case.
the gcc that shipped with redhat didn't function correctly on my AMD K5
so i had to recompile it and then install the locally compiled package.

is there any feature like this in dpkg/debian?  i noticed there aren't
any source packages per se, but there were .orig.tar.gz files.

how would i accomplish what i described above with debian/dpkg?

thanks.