Re: debian to debian

On Wed, 7 May 1997, A. M. Varon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could anyone give me some tips to copy (everything) a 1.2 gb of debian to
> another harddisk of 3.5 gb?
>
> I've used ftptool and it works, but it's not so elegant.

This was just discussed on the list ;-)

Mount the new disk on, say /mnt and:

	cp -a -x / /mnt

If the final device of the new drive is going to be different than that of
the original you will need to edit /etc/fstab to reflect the difference.
That is, if the 1.2 Gig drive was /dev/hda and the new drive is going to
be booted as /dev/hdb then change fstab to reflect this change.
You will probably also want to build a boot floppy for the first boot and
then run lilo after you boot from the floppy (assuming lilo is your boot
loader)

Luck,

Dwarf