Re: starting/stoping program on boot/shutdown

> So how do I start/stop a plain program during boot/shutdown? Is it
> safe, that root runs this thing? Should I run it under another
> account? Which one and do I have to create a homedir for that?
> This program should only be started once and not by "normal"
> users. How do I achieve this? Where would such a program be
> located (based on debian philosophy)?

I'd run it as another user - definitely not as root.  Especially
when you are running a binary file where you can't inspect the
source.

Just create another user, ie. "des", and give it a home directory.

Here's a rather long-winded example of using start-stop-daemon
to run a process as another user.  (This is for a postgresql
server I have installed in /usr/local)

start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --exec /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
--startas /bin/sh -- -c 'echo "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D/var/pgdata >
/var/log/postgresql/server.log 2>&1 &" | su postgres'

There's probably an easier way to do this...

I was participating too, until they changed the programs around and I
didn't have enough time to re-setup everything.

They've completed 2.6753% of the keyspace - wow.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim