starting/stoping program on boot/shutdown

Hi!

I'm taking part in the DES Challenge coordinated effort, which means
running their client and calculating keys. Now this thing is easy to
use and stays in the background, but every time I reboot I have to
restart the program. Now my aproach was to write a little script put
it into /etc/init.d/desclient . I used as a sample the script for
the cron daemon, but the desclient doesn't behave like a daemon and
so the script didn't work.

So how do I start/stop a plain program during boot/shutdown? Is it
safe, that root runs this thing? Should I run it under another
account? Which one and do I have to create a homedir for that?
This program should only be started once and not by "normal"
users. How do I achieve this? Where would such a program be
located (based on debian philosophy)?

Since debian@debian.org is number 5 of the email top-20 of the
DES Challenge coordinated effort there must be some answers
out there :)

Alex.

PS: More information on the DES Challenge coordinated effort
    http://www.des.sollentuna.se