How is apache setup for multiple domains?

     I have been looking at using apache as our web server and it
will be necessary to set up the server to appear as 3 different
domains.  After looking at some of the documentation it appears that
a machine could be set up so that the server machine will respond
to 3 different IP addresses each for a different domains then have
apache determine which domain it should appear to be.

     It would be great if there were some sort of HOWTO type of
document or some example configuration files for this but I haven't
seen them.  Can someone point me at something like this?  One of the
things that I'm not sure of is how to have different document roots
for each domain and weather there is one or more than one httpd.conf.
It looks like multiple VirtualHost entries are made in the same
http.conf but how do the VirtualHosts get refered back to the IP
address?  Is it via reverse DNS?  I have heard that reverse DNS
lookups are extremely important on apache.