Re: Is there an opposite to adduser?

At 12:52 PM 4/30/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Under /usr/sbin there is a program called "deluser".  Odd thing, though, I
couldn't
>find a man page for it, and it wasn't listed in the "see also" section of the
>"adduser" man page -- so it isn't obvious at all that it is there :-|

If you look at /usr/sbin/deluser directly, you'll see it's a Perl script.
A quickly hack too, judging both on the comments and on the functionality.

I just went thru the exercise of setting up a Debian based server for a
community network, and I ended up modifying both adduser and deluser (and
delgroup) for our purposes.  Is is just me, or is it really the case that
no Unix has decent tools for administering user accounts :-), I've pretty
much had to do this on every Unix system I've touched over the years ...
but now I'm straying :-)

The point is (and perhaps I should be directing this at the developer list)
that there really is not a good utility maintaining accounts in Unix and
nor in Debian.  The ones that do work are always idiosyncratic to some
flavor of Unix.  And for no particular reason, as the underlying passwd and
group files use the same formats (or system calls, if you want to go that
route).  This is, like, the very first thing you need to do once you bring
a system up, start adding accounts.  Ought to be more bullet proof than we
see here.

So, just like Debian has put forth a great deal of effort in the dpkg, and
I take my hat off to it, there ought to be a similar effort put forth for
user account administration.  My question here, is whether there is such an
effort under way?
--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@danenet.wicip.org>
DANEnet, Connecting Dane County's Communities