Re: Using LILO...

Just put the MBR on hda.  I don't believe the rest makes a difference
since I use lilo to boot my kernel images from hdb3 using hda2 as root
partition.

I have a 2.5 MB partition (hdb3) that I mount as /kernel.  This is to
avoid the 1023 cylinder limit.  My hdb is only 85 MB.

The MBR has to be on the first HD if your bios won't boot anything but
A,C.  If you can adjust it in the BIOS to boot your hdb then that should
fix it too.

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I have personaly used loadlin to boot my kernel since day 1, but lately I
> have been doing a lot of testing and determined to try to figure out how
> to use LILO. I have been less than successful, and I only vaguely
> understand why.
> Here is the situation: The machine is an old 486 with 8 meg of memory and
> two 1.2 Gig IDE drives. The first drive is one big DOS partition. The
> second drive is two linux partitions (650 meg and 320 meg) and an almost
> 100 meg swap partition.
> My last test involved upgrading a 1.1.13 system to bo. When I installed
> the new lilo package I answered yes to installing lilo; yes to installing
> the mbr on hdb; and yes to making hdb1 the active partition. On reboot,
> the machine came up in DOS.
> I assume that this was because both lilo and mbr were on the "wrong"
> device to be recognized at bootup. How do I get them onto the hda drive,
> and will they work there with the config information on hdb1?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dwarf
> --
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- If you don't see what you want, just ask _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>

> --

--Rick

rickya@siservices.net