Re: upgrade to debian 1.3

> In message <[🔎] m0wMGf0-000CMiC@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl> you wrote:
> >I'm not sure there was actually an error in the above lynx install
> >session (appart from the possibly wrong error message)
> ...  If the
> >                lock  is  held by someone else, this call returns
> >                -1 and sets errno to EACCES or EAGAIN.
> >
> >So, probably I should also test for EACCES. (why doesn't dpkg does this?)
>
> Perhaps dpkg mmaps the file, so it always gets EAGAIN.

No, it doesn't (read the code I showed, and you'll see that
errno excactly is not EAGAIN, that's what I test for).

> Anyway,  I had this error while dpkg was installing hdimage for dosemu.
> Everything got installed fine, so the error message is in error. :)

update-menus wasn't run, that's all (very slight error).

> You probably should log messages via syslog so that they don't mess
> with output from foreground jobs.

Fortunatly I didn't, as otherwise people never would see when it happens.
I am glad I now at least know that the fcntl() call also  can give
something else than EWOULDBLOCK or EAGAIN (that's what these
messages prove), I'll just go and check what the other thing
is (probably it's EACCES).

>  AFA I can see open() should block
> until dpkg run is complete

The fd=open(DPKG_LOCKFILE, O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0660);
call above doesn't block. (otherwise, none of the messages above
would appear!).

> -- the only test I can think of is to poll
> with non-blocking open() and see if it makes any difference.

So this is not needed.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org