mc..missing library!

I have debian release 1.2 installed on my 586/133mhz.  I'm just learning
how to move around in this system as I have no linux experience.  When I
try to start midnight commander, I get the following message:

mc: can't load library 'libgpm.so.1'

When I try to locate libgpm.so.1 using find, I can't find it. Under
/usr/lib/ I do find 'libgdbm.so.1'.  Is this the file I'm actually
looking for, like an updated version or something?  Or is there a link
or something I need to make so mc can find the appropriate file?

My base system seems to be OK, however I'm getting similiar messages as
the above when I try to start some programs, or when I try to start
XFree86.  I loaded my packages off the cheapbytes cd, and I thought
everything was there...maybe I'm missing something or didn't link
some things that I was supposed to?

TIA!

---
Steve Morrill