Re: where is libXmu.so.6?

On Apr 28, Kevin M. Luck wrote
>   Hello.  I'm a new debian user who just installed the floppy version of 1.2
> to a p75, and I'm now trying to add X11R6.  I've installed xbase, xfntbase,
> xlib6, xserver for vga16 and s3 (my card), but am unable to run any x
> software because I always get a "xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'"
> error.  I've checked my paths in /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/X11R6/lib is
> listed all right, and I've used updatedb and locate to search for the file
> to no avail.  I've also tried adding xcompat, xlib6-dev, and xslib, but none
> of these have helped.  If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Hmm. That's odd. libXmu.so.6 should have come with the xlib6 package. At
least that's the way it is on my system:

chrish@pianocktail:[~] >dpkg -S libXmu.so.6
xlib6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
xlib6: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6

Do "dpkg -L xlib6" (this will list all the files that came with the xlib6
package that you installed). If libXmu.so.6 isn't in the list (would be
really surprising) then check if you have the latest version of xlib6. If
libXmu.so.6 *is* in the list, then it means that the file got deleted
somehow after you installed xlib6. Reinstalling xlib6 should cure that. (To
make sure that the libXmu.so.6 file is in the xlib6.deb file, you can use
"dpkg -c" on the .deb file to list its contents.)

Luck,

  Christian