Re: /sbin/clock not ticking

Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:

> I don't know what /dev/rtc is, but it seems that on my brother's computer
> it can't be opened.  It seems that this in turn allows clock to work.

Most likely it can't be opened because that device was not compiled
into his kernel, but it was into yours.

> The strange thing is that /dev/rtc does in fact exist on my brother's
> computer (and on mine).

Whether or not the device exists in the kernel has nothing to do with
whether or not the device file exists on disk.  For example, if I
compiled a kernel without sound support, the file /dev/audio might
still exist, but if I tried to open it, the open would fail.

As to why having rtc in the kernel would cause clock to fail, I have
no clue.

--
Rob