Re: globally override/fool dpkg dependency mechanism?

Make a directory like 'perl-5.003' somewhere. Make sure you have
debmake.  Change into that directory and do 'deb-make'.  It'll set up
a couple things.  create a 'Makefile' in the top level that responds
to clean, all, install (but does nothing).  Change into the debian
directory and edit the control file to include the same things perl
does.  Also edit the rules file to remove the check for root.  go up
one directory and run dpkg-buildpackage.  This should leave a couple
dummy packages sitting one directory up.  Install the perl one, and
you'll now have perl installed (as far as dpkg knows).  But just a
dummy version.

(What I did for ntex when I installed it do dselect would stop telling
me that package so and so recommended latex.  Just grabbed all the
provides out of the standard tex packages, and put them all in one
line for ntex).

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!