Re: atd and hdparm

    Nikolaj> Hello Karl, On 26-Apr-97, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote
    >> I really love `atd`!  I can use `hdparm` to set a spin-down
    >> timeout for my harddisks, and they actually turn off now!
    >> Before, with `at` driven by `cron`, the drives never got a
    >> chance to spin down.

    Nikolaj> I'm a fellow Debian user and I've wondered how to let my
    Nikolaj> laptop's HD spin down with hdparm. I cannot find atd
    Nikolaj> though, neither on my disk nor through dselect.

    Nikolaj> Could I ask you where you got it from?

 `atd` is in the newest "at" package, from bo.  If you hit the search
engine on http://www.debian.org you should be able to turn it up.

 As for `hdparm`, just RTFM, and you'll know as much as I do about it.
>From what I gather, if your drives are EIDE, they'll support the
feature.  You may have a bios setting for it too.

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg