Re: Live filesystem on CDs

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Christoph wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, William Burrow wrote:
>
> aa126 >Debian CDs seem to lack this feature.  Even a small filesystem on the CD
> aa126 >would be useful, and when the ext2 compressed filesystem is incorporated
> aa126 >in the main kernel, a few more packages could be added for little more
> aa126 >space on the CD.
>
> Can you come up with an idea which packages to install? We have much more
> than fit on a CD. Having such a live Cd would certainly be useful.

Sometime within the next few weeks, I will consider constructing a CD
with a live filesystem.  The hardware I have to work with will likely
only allow me to put only 400-500 megs onto the disk (it will depend on
actual conditions).  The disk will be constructed to be fairly usable,
allowing demos of graphics programs (GIMP and/or ImageMagick for
example), Internet (server and client stuff), development stuff, X
and so on.  The idea being that one can actually use it in place if
desired, or just demo Linux to someone who does not want their harddrive
touched.

If anyone else has already constructed such a CD, I'd be interested in
more info.  Anyone interested in such a CD might want to drop me a line
with comments.  No guarantees, but once it is done, I might post the image
on my web page, GPL like.

--
William Burrow, VE9WIL (Adv, 5wpm)  --  New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow