Re: LILO (DOH!!) J.B. does it again.

I moved all my files from hda1 to hda2 with the kernel being the last file
moved.  So ofcourse it is beyond the 1023 line. That would explain it.  My
mind is going and I'm only 32.

Since I'm going to repartition this again I should give in and split it
across partitions.  You have a good layout for this in an 800MB limit?  I
have never done this since I was always worried about one partition
outgrowing it's limits and being stuck re-installing the whole works.

I haven't got a clue what directories to have in a root partition or what
other partitions I should make, and there size.  Well, other than /usr
ofcourse.

I plan on getting a good sized drive that Linux can have to its self in
the next few months.

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Rick Jones wrote:
> > So why in the hell does lilo report cylinder 2312 which I'm fairly sure is
> > in hda3 when I'm setting up hda2 which starts at 817?
> >
> > I have used this same partition setup before without any trouble.  Anyone
> > have a clue?
>
> New BIOS may support cylinders higher than 1023, but old BIOS doesn't.
> Lilo may not make a distinction. I think you should check again what
> cylinder hda2 starts on. The important fact is where the disk blocks for
> your *kernel* are. With a large disk people often create a root

I was thinking that it was in the range since it was in / God knows why.

> partition which the *know* is well withing 1024 cylinders so that the
> kernel is always guaranteed to be within range.
>
> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

--Rick