Partition Sizes

Rick Jones wrote:

> I moved all my files from hda1 to hda2 with the kernel being the last file
> moved.  So ofcourse it is beyond the 1023 line. That would explain it.  My
> mind is going and I'm only 32.
>
> Since I'm going to repartition this again I should give in and split it
> across partitions.  You have a good layout for this in an 800MB limit?  I
> have never done this since I was always worried about one partition
> outgrowing it's limits and being stuck re-installing the whole works.
>
> I haven't got a clue what directories to have in a root partition or what
> other partitions I should make, and there size.  Well, other than /usr
> ofcourse.
>
> I plan on getting a good sized drive that Linux can have to its self in
> the next few months.

  [ previous discussion cut ]

Well, I wish I have a good partition map. When I used to administer Sun
Workstations we typically set up machines with /, /usr, /tmp, and /var
partitions, as well as swap. We arrived at the sizes after having
measured
how much we used on other machines. It worked well because we almost
never
installed stuff locally on the machines after they were set up--just the
OS
was local. So, I currently take the lazy route and put everything in one
partition--not a good solution. I could also get bit by this same
problem,
although I haven't yet.

The trouble with the / partition is that it isn't good enough to just
get
rid of /usr onto another partition--you also need to get rid of /var,
/tmp,
and /home if you want to do it right. I would almost say that the best
idea
would be to make a special partition for *just* the kernel, let's say
/kernel and give it 1MB. This raises questions in my mind about whether
or
not the kernel has to be in the root partition. My programmer instincts
tell
me it shouldn't have to be there. Past experience with making naive
assumptions suggest that I not bet the ranch (and risk a perfectly good
and
bootable system) on such assumptions. I wish I has a clean, available PC
could test this on, because I'd love to do this at home. Maybe you'd
like
to try this out for us?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen