Java

I wish to be able to enable Java support in Netscape 3.01 without it
crashing whenever I try a java site. Is there a patch or fix for this?
I've noticed that when I do a "Make Xconfig" to build a kernel the
selection to enable java support (CONFIG_BINFMT_JAVA) is grayed out. Do
I need to change something in kernel sources? Would a non-production
kernel i.e. 2.1.XX help? This is not vital as I have plenty of other
things to do, but things that crash programs bother me.

Thanks...

Jim