Re: Using Debian As Networking Teacher

butch@maestro.com writes:

> I was wondering how valuable debian wqould be as a
> backaground in learning networking administration, such as a
> ladder to learning solaris systmes fundamnetals. i know they
> are different, are they close in any areas?

I think they're very close, ähm you can get them very close ;-)
Solaris is IMHO very naked, i.e. only sh not bash -> you have to get
the shell (and/or a compiler) somewhere. It's much much work because
you have to compile many nice things that debian brings automagically
to you.

Perhaps it's a good idea to get the Debian/Sparc Binaries working
under Solaris. It would really save you and many others much (useless)
work.

I think, that a well configured Linux system like Debian is will teach
you many good things that you can use under Solaris. The network
admininistration for NFS or NIS is the same, because Solaris has
introduced these features.

Bye
  Christian

--