Re: RFC: Stacker 133 compatablilty...

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997 dthayer@netcom.com wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Jeff Greeson wrote:

> > I bet this has been debated before, but how does the Trinity Works' Stacker
> > 133 perform with 2.0.30 of Debian?  FYI, the Stacker 133 is a AMD 5x86/133
> > that fits in a 486 chip socket.
>
> I installed one a couple of weeks ago. I had one kernel panic since
> then, wether or not it that was due to the 586 I'm not quite sure. I
> didn't do any kind of performance test, but the system seems snappier.
> It should be noted that the Trinity products has a large heatsink, but
> no fan. This shouldn't be a problem under Linux since the kernel's use
> of the wait instruction means that the cpu should run cooler.

I've never heard of the "Trinity Works' Stacker 133", but I assume it's
just a re-marketed AMD 5x86-P75 (a 486 with 133 MHz core and 33 MHz bus).

I have been running this chip for over a year and it has never given me any
trouble.  If this is what you have, your panic was probably something else,
*unless the motherboard for some reason has a problem with the chip*.  You
probably would have needed to change some jumpers on your motherboard.

--
G. Branden Robinson
Purdue University