Re: Auto updating the hardware clock on shutdown.

On 12 Apr 1997, Rob Browning wrote:

> I assumed that the hardware clock was always written to reflect the
> current system time on shutdown.  Is that true?  The reason I ask is
> because we just had the daylight savings switch here, and at least one
> of my systems came up after a reboot with the wrong time (it was an
> hour off).  If the clock is not by default written at shutdown, what's
> the best way to make sure that it is, an appropriate rc.d script
> perhaps?
It depends on the BIOS of your computer. Some moderm motherboards do not
allow permanent changes in the operating system. You have to change the
CMOS settings when the computer starts up. At least that is howm my
computer works.

D.J. Mashao,                         mashaodj@sunserver.engin.brown.edu,