Re: ISDN Support

On 21 Apr 1997 03:58:51 -0000, Richard Sharman wrote:

>Dave Cinege writes:
> > >
> > >Until recently I just used the built-in serial ports, which are 16650a
> > >limited to 115000 bps.  I have recently bought a Byte Runner card and
> > >am talking to the Bitsurfr at 230400 bps.  Have I noticed a big
> >
> > Ahhhhaaa! And you are using this with linux? Are you sure it is opening the
> > 16650 at 230K?
> >
> > >difference?  No.  I've started trying some tests, and will switch back
> > >to 115000 and see if it I can measure any difference.  There are
> > >typically delays at so many points its hard to get consistent results.
> > >Subjectively (very!) 2 channels are faster than 1, but not twice as
> > >fast.
> >
> > They sure are....maybe the serial ISN'T opening past 115K.
> >

>Well, I *think* so.  How can I tell?  I use setserial with spd_cust
>and a divisor of 1 with the card jumpered to a base of 3.6864 Mhz;
>this is supposed to produce 230.4K.  Before doing that, using spd_vhi
>giving 115000 bps I tell the Bitsurf the speed is now 230400.  I then
>switch speeds and the bitsrfr responds.  It no longer talks to me if I
>talk to it at 115000.  In fact, it often resets when I do.

Hmmm, this doesn't sound right. Sorry but this is getting beyond my
knowledge. I've never even used spd options....my file looks like this:

STD_FLAGS="session_lockout ^fourport"
SETSERIAL=/bin/setserial

echo -n "Configuring serial ports...."

${SETSERIAL} -b  /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0x3F8 irq 4 ${STD_FLAGS}
${SETSERIAL} -b  /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550A port 0x2F8 irq 3 ${STD_FLAGS}

${SETSERIAL} -bg /dev/ttyS*

In ppp.options_out I just set a rate of 115200 and everything seems to work
fine with my modem. I assumed all you would have to do is change the rate in
this file to 230400.

Anybody know whats going on here?

I'm certainly interested because I intend to be getting a byte runner 16650
card and ISDN TA in a about a week.

Dave 'Kill a Cop' Cinege  (aka Psychopath #3)  ---  Super Genius at Large
The Oklahoma City Federal building bombing -
Americas first response to government abuse

http://www.psychosis.com/

Libertarian Party 1-800-682-1776		http://www.lp.org/