Re: init level

In article <_ThLa81.0.8Y5.SSvLp_@debian>, Linh Dang <linhd@nortel.ca> wrote:

>I've got some diskcorruptions on my root partition. After some dpkg --install,
>my system is now running fine. But I can't change run-level anymore...
>
>        $ telinit 1
>        No more processes in this runlevel

Which version of sysvinit is installed, and what's the status?
 (dpkg -l sysvinit)

>Another question, what is the file /etc/runlevel ??? I might have lost it
>during the disk corruption (i.e. I don't have it now).

It's a temporary file. You don't need it. Newer versions of sysvinit
don't even use the temp files (instead they use the pipe /dev/initctl).

Mike.
--
|    Miquel van      |    I know one million ways, to always pick    |
| miquels@cistron.nl |    the wrong fantasy  --- the Black Crowes    |