Homer has the ppp blues :-(

For many moons now, I have been using a primative method to establish
a ppp link, namely: use minicom to login and start ppp at the other
end, then exit minicom and run pppd manually.

Though labour intensive, this method worked tolerably well.  The only
problem was that sometimes pppd believed that it had received a modem
hangup when in fact the modem was doing just fine.  As a result pppd
would terminate prematurely.  Though I never managed to get to the bottom
of this problem, I found a semi-fix: run pppd again and the link would
be reestablished, or even better, run pppd with the "persist" option.

Using minicom to establish the connection is very tedious.  Yesterday
I had a brilliant flash of inspiration:

              ___  _____
            .'/,-Y"     "~-.
            l.Y             ^.
            /\               _\_      "Why don't I use a chat script?!"
           i            ___/"   "\
           |          /"   "\   o !
           l         ]     o !__./
            \ _  _    \.___./    "~\
             X \/ \            ___./
            ( \ ___.   _..--~~"   ~`-.
             ` Z,--   /               \
               \__.  (   /       ______)
                 \   l  /-----~~" /
                  Y   \          /
                  |    "x______.^
                  |           \      -Row
                  j            Y

So I decided to bite the bullet where angels fear to tread and create a
chat script.  It worked beautifully with a one large and one small
exception.  First for the large exception:

As I already explained, pppd has a nasty habit of thinking the link is
dead when it isn't really.  With the old setup, the "persist" option
simply told pppd to renegotiate "handshaking" with the ppp process at the
other end.  With the new setup, pppd first runs the chat script and of
course this doesn't work as the modem link is already up, hence it never
gets to renegotiate the handshaking.

In short, unless I can solve pppd's delusions about non-existent modem
hangups, or unless I can find another way around this problem, I'll have
to go back to using minicom to establish the connection.  Any ideas?

As for the small exception, poff doesn't seem to always kill my pppd:

# poff
No pppd is running
# ps -aux | grep ppp
root      5764  0.2  3.2   888   480  a1 S     12:07   0:00 /usr/sbin/pppd conn
root      5894  0.0  1.9   896   288  p3 S     12:13   0:00 grep ppp