Will the real vi please stand up?

     It is generally agreed that any Unix user should be able to use
vi, regardless of which editor he prefers to use regularly.

     Apparently vi doesn't exist in Debian - vim, nvi, and elvis
(maybe others) all like to have a symlink named vi pointing to them.
A year ago when I was running Slackware, I thought I learned enough
about vi to use it, but not well.  Then I found I was learning elvis,
not vi.  When I first installed Debian I tried using 'vi' (I don't
remember which of the almost clones it really was) and found that
some of the commands I was familiar with caused the famous "unexpected
results", so I gave up.

     Which of the vi semi-clones on Debian is most like the original
vi and most likely to work on a broad range of unices?

Bob