Re: Will the real vi please stand up?

>      It is generally agreed that any Unix user should be able to use
> vi, regardless of which editor he prefers to use regularly.

Apparently the people who generated the debian rescue disk don't agree
or the recent editor wars wouldn't have happened on this list.

>      Which of the vi semi-clones on Debian is most like the original
> vi and most likely to work on a broad range of unices?

I learned vi under SysVr3 and SysVr4 and didn't see much difference
under Slackware/elvis.   Vim does have some annoying differences but
I can't remember the specifics.  Emacs with viper-mode is pretty
faithful too.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com