Re: DEITY TEAM -- REQUEST FOR FUNCTIONALITY and COMMENTS

jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> Adam Shand writes:
> > This is *just* to get newbies installed and working.  I'd do something
> > like have 3 options.  A developement box (nothing but baisc utilities and
> > compilers),...
>
> How many newbies are going to want this?

> I suggest:
>
> 1) Basic Unix, with enough dev stuff to compile a kernel.  *No* networking.
>
> 2) 1), plus basic networking (MTA & MUA, but no servers).
>
> 3) 1), plus X.
>
> 4) 2), plus X.

I don't have the context of the original suggestion handy.

Has anybody suggested that the "tool" simply supports externally-defined
package sets? Then, any number of configurations can be defined and
offered in distributions, web sites/archives, etc. The DEITY team needs
only
to provide a general capability and not get into the battle of actually
defining the packages.

Of course, the tool would help as expected by ensuring dependency
existence and
ordering and "all that".

--
...RickM...