Re: portmapper problems

 Portmapper is usefull (and not essential) only for rpc apps. Ftp and
 telnet are not rpc programs and do not interact with portmapper.

 Check your ip connectivety, can you ping the other site? If no, check
 the network interface and route tables for both machines, then inspect
 the cable, io cards, or other harware. If ping succeeds, check the
 hosts.allow/deny again, and failing that check inetd and telnetd.
 I get this kind of problem all the time, but always, the mistake is mine.
 Normally, one card fails and interfaces get assigned in the
 wrong order to the wrong routes, or interupts and ioports get all mangled-up
 and chaos follows. First check if ping works while watching it with tcpdump.

On Apr 13, Alex Romosan wrote

--
Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida