Debian 1.3 again

Hi again,

It seems that the following devices are missing after the installation
from the base disks:

/dev/mcd
/dev/mcdx
/dev/modem

I managed to create /dev/mcdx0 and /dev/mcdx1 by typing

mknod /dev/mcdx0 b 20 0
mknod /dev/mcdx1 b 20 1

Is this correct...??
But I don't know how to create /dev/mcd. I need mcd because mcdx won't
read the superblock...I remember that in an previous installation some
months ago only mcd worked with my CD-ROM.
Man is currently not working...because I cannot mount the cd...the mcd
is missing.

Then I linked  the modem to ttyS1...or is it vice versa??

ln -s ttyS1 modem

Is this correct...???
How do I create /dev/mcd and why are all the devices not created
automatically...?? Someone told me, that this problem would be
solved...but this was some months ago!

TIA

Jacek