Re: What editors are in base?

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Ken Gaugler wrote:

> When I was in school, my UNIX teacher had one immutable law;
> "Thou shalt learn vi".  His argument was that no matter what
> flavor of unix you happen to come across in your career as a
> unix administrator, there will always be vi on the system.  I
> have to admit there have been times I was very grateful he made
> me learn it.  Having worked with at least 9 flavors of unix,
> it was the most valuable lesson I learned in school.

I learned ed for the same purpose.  And vi...  It was the first Unix
editor I learned.  I still use it.  I use emacs for programming and vi
for small things (like configuration etc.).  And ed...  When there is
no other choice, e.g., when I work from a dumb terminal (or when I
can't find the terminal emulation I need, because every one of them is
buggy, or the terminal I work on isn't supported by normal OSs), or
when I have no vi yet (the system is not fully installed)).

BTW, if vi is too big for base, put ed there ;)

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected