Re: Frontpage and Debian (SOLVED!)

On 9 Apr 1997, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> > You are confusing ld.so with gcc. The compiler/linker doesn't search
> > /usr/local, you would need to direct it to look there. What you need to
> > put into /usr/local/lib is the shared libraries used by ld.so during
> > program loading. This path is on the list of paths checked by ld.so and
> > will result in the correct library being "available" to the program that
> > needs it.
>
> Dale, I'm afraid that you are the one who is confused.  That entire
> paragraph is incorrect.

This doesn't surprise me very much ;-) I have always been secure in the
knowledge that, if I say something stupid, there is always someone
brighter than myself to point it out. Thanks for improving my knowledge.

Your solution is a good one. If the so numbers were different, you would
be able to add the "special path" to its config and not need to specify
the path on invocation, right? I seem to have missed several crucial
pieces of data.

Thanks,

Dwarf