Re: How to modify subject of incoming emails using procmail

Jason Costomiris writes:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Christian Hudon wrote:
>
> > So the question is, is there an easy way to make a substitution on *only*
> > the 'Subject:' line of the *header* of the mail, either using procmail or
> > something else?
>
> Sure.  man formail.
>
> I wonder, however, why on earth you would want to do this.  Why not,
> instead just send the mail from that list to its own folder like:
>
> :0:
> * ^TOdebian-user
> $HOME/mail/debian

I'd like to comment on this. If the debian-* list administrator(s) would edit
the debian-*.config files and change the "subject_prefix" option to reflect
the appropriate list, then all of the filtering would be easier on the members
of the list. A subject line like

    Subject: I need HELP

would become

    Subject: DEBIAN-USER I need HELP

I found out that the above formula for filtering does NOT catch all of
debian-user messages. I have several non-related mail lists coming into my
system, and some of them use that option. This list, unfortunately, does not
thus making it hard to correctly separate debian messages from the rest of the
pack (who use "listserv").

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.2 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL