Kernel recompile affects X display left-shift?

This is totally weird...help!

Is there anything in a kernel recompile that would affect how XFree
performs? I have an AST ascentia laptop, 800x600 screen. The default
debian kernel gives an X display that is shifted about 30 pixels to
the right.  Some of my early recompiles (boot floppies) spontaneously
fixed this problem.  Now I cannot reproduce the recompile conditions
that correct this, and I don't even understand why this would even
happen.  I've gone through about 15 different kernels in the past two
days (trial and error) with no success.

Things tried:

386 vs 486 vs pentium optimization

psaux in the kernel or modularized

as well as many others.

Ideas?

nathan

--
Nathan Siemers - Department of Bioinformatics
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute