modules and modutils

I am also caught in the "Catch 22" of trying to upgrade to modutils.
As I recall the sequence was that I installed a new system with the
dummy version of modules (2.1.x) in unstable but there was no
companion modutils package at the time and I could not manipulate
modules.  I then backed out to the version 2.0.0-15 of modules in the
stable directory.  Now I can't remove the old modules and hence I
can't upgrade to modutils.

I can no longer find the dummy version of modules to try to do the
installation the proper way.

Even trying to force the installation of modutils doesn't seem to work

# dpkg --force-conflicts --install modutils_2.1.23-2.deb
dpkg: considering removing modules in favour of modutils ...
dpkg: yes, will remove modules in favour of modutils.
(Reading database ... 17076 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking modutils (from modutils_2.1.23-2.deb) ...
Kernel was compiled with module support!
Modules package cannot be removed!
dpkg: error processing modutils_2.1.23-2.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 modutils_2.1.23-2.deb