Re: ppp loopback

mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it writes:

[snip]

> I also have to say that only getmail is not working .. mail get
> sent. So probably it's a problem with popclient (which is newer than
> Slack and has some differencies in options .. and is obsolete,
> substituted by .. fetchmail? that was alos substituted by .. don't
> remember .. I'll try qpopper and see how it behaves.

fetchmail is still being maintained and improved.  The latest version
is 3.9; I think the latest Debian version I've seen is 3.8.  IMHO, the
latest versions of fetchmail are very nice.  (But I've also had some
input into it's development so I have a vested interest in getting its
NEWS file distributed widely...)

[snip]

> Well. I'm almost sure here (but could be wrong anyway). My LAN is made up of
> two PCs, rarely up together (it's my home LAN). So default route is usually
> thru eth0, like this: (route -n)
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> a.b.c.0 	0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        5 lo
> 0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        1 eth0

My feeling is that unless you can get to an arbitrary address over
the default route (e.g. the other PC is running diald or is
permanently connected) the default route is overkill.  Actually, the
whole Internet would have to be on your LAN, since there's no
gateway.

If you have just one other PC, you can add a route to just that
machine and probably save yourself a lot of grief:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1	# The local machine
route add -host 192.168.10.2	# The other machine

Or you can use your local network only, which is basically your
example above without the last line:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.1
route add -net 192.168.10.0	# Class C network

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

		 "Double, double, toil and trouble, /
		   Fire burn and cauldron bubble."