Re: ppp loopback

> mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > But .. it doesn't start ip-up properly, since
> > ip-up does the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> > and I get messages from the echo lines, but I don't get any mail
> > popped or sent.  Strange is, if I run ip-up by hand, it behaves
> > properly.
>
> Do putmail and getmail rely on any settings of uid?  Slackware 3.0's

I don't know. Maybe. putmail simply checks if there are files in
/var/spool/mqueue and if so starts sendmail on the queue. getmail starts
popclient with appropriate parameters, and the filters received mail with awk.
I'll check on this, but id doesn't work with root either.
I also have to say that only getmail is not working .. mail get sent. So
probably it's a problem with popclient (which is newer than Slack and has some
differencies in options .. and is obsolete, substituted by .. fetchmail? that
was alos substituted by .. don't remember .. I'll try qpopper and see how it
behaves.

> pppd ran ip-up (for me) with euid=root, uid=carey.  Debian's pppd runs
> ip-up with euid=root, uid=root.  I'm using the gid=carey to work out
> who invoked pppd.
>
> > Also, in debian pppd I have to set default route by hand, since pppd
> > informs me that he refuses to substitute my default route (usually
> > to eth0) to ppp0 I'm using defaultroute in options file, but this
> > doesn't help.
>
> Are you sure the previous default route is right?  For example, at

Well. I'm almost sure here (but could be wrong anyway). My LAN is made up of
two PCs, rarely up together (it's my home LAN). So default route is usually
thru eth0, like this: (route -n)

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
a.b.c.0 	0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        5 lo
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        1 eth0

This is how both Slack and Debian (with /etc/init.d/network) set it up.
When I call my ISP, I want my default route to be thru it:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
a.b.c.0 	0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        5 lo
0.0.0.0         my.isp.addr     255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1 ppp0

that's it. When I hang up, it has to revert to prior setup. With Slack that
happened simply using defaultroute in /etc/ppp/options.

> The best solution is to start "routed -q" which updates my machine

You probably have real networks, so you have real routers and gateways. I think
mine would be a little up-on-steroids home LAN if I used routed.

> from the router's periodic broadcasts.  I think I should put some
> stuff in /etc/gateways in case someone else's machine starts
> broadcasting bogus routes though.

Thanks for your suggestions,