Re: syslogd will not start

mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it wrote:

> > For some reason syslogd refuses to start in the /etc/init.d/sysklogd
> > file.  The docs say to use a -n command line argument if starting
> > syslogd from the inits, but at bootup I see the message
> > "-n unknown option" and it still doesn't start.
>
> because, written as it is shown below, you're passing -n to start-stop-daemon,
> not to syslogd (I discovered this with another daemon, but think it is valid to
> syslogd too)
>
> > I can start it manually just fine, but that is a pain.  I did nothing
> > special to this system, so I assume others must have had this happen,
> > too.
> >     start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd -n --
> > $SYSLOGD
>
> try this
>
> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd -- -n $SYSLOGD
>
> HTH
>
> --
> ||    || |||||||  Marco Frattola                     Microsoft is not the answer
> ||`..'|| |||...   Piacenza, Italy                    Microsoft is the question

Nope.  This hoses my system completely. These boot messages print:

syslog: /dev/xconsole: Interrupted system call
syslogd: unknown priority name "..]"
syslogd: unknown priority name ""

and then hangs.

Thanks anyway!

--
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  Santa Clara, California
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng