Re: shadow question

    >> when you say doesn't work, do you mean it appears a normal
    >> login is about to occur, the server flashes, and then the
    >> console login reloads?
    >>
    >> i've seen that and yes its a permission issue.

    Adam> Yep that's what happens... if I put in the wrong password it
    Adam> comes up with "Login incorrect" as it should but if I put in
    Adam> the right passwd it all but logs in and then goes back to
    Adam> the xdm login window...  I can login via telnet or virtual
    Adam> console so I doubt it's shadow... (though installing shadow
    Adam> does appear to be what broke it...).  I'm using afterstep
    Adam> pre4 if it matters.

 I had that happen too; what it turned out to be was that in my
~/.xsession script, everything got backgrounded, and when the script
ends, so does the X session.  You have to background everything but
the last program, which keeps the session open until you close it.

 For that, you can use the Window Manager, or something like
'unclutter' or 'xautolock'.

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Portland, OR  USA