Re: shadow question

>when you say doesn't work, do you mean it appears a normal login is
>about to occur, the server flashes, and then the console login reloads?
>
>i've seen that and yes its a permission issue.

Yep that's what happens... if I put in the wrong password it comes up with
"Login incorrect" as it should but if I put in the right passwd it all but
logs in and then goes back to the xdm login window...  I can login via
telnet or virtual console so I doubt it's shadow... (though installing
shadow does appear to be what broke it...).  I'm using afterstep pre4 if it
matters.

Any ideas please I'm an X newbie :)

Adam.